Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Why math is necessary for running

There is a high school a little bit more than a mile away from my house, but I’ve always been too scared to run on their track.  I don’t know exactly where the track is and would hate to get there and find out that it’s closed to the public for some reason.  Luckily, my street is approximately .25 miles long, and fairly flat, which makes it very convenient for speedwork.

My workout this morning was 2 x 1 mile @ 7:30 with 800 rest.  Since I’m apparently incapable of dividing 7:30 by four (my first try at division yielded 400 splits of 1:07, second try was 1:22.  I eventually realized the correct answer is around 1:50 and decided I should figure out splits the night before my run, and not when I’m still groggy at the beginning of my warm up), I ended up going out a lot faster than that pace, but kind of went with it and ended up running 7:17 and 7:19.  This was my first attempt at mile repeats.  They weren’t too bad, although only doing 2 helps with that.  I’m sure I’ll feel different in a few months when I work my way up to four.  I know my high school track coach would be amazed that I’m doing mile repeats.  I used to whine about 800s.  I also enjoy Yasso 800s and other spring work outs, but since my times favor shorter races, I know I need to work on developing longer-distance speed.  My best age-graded distance is the 5k, where my PR is in the 64% range.  If you have any good suggestions for workouts (other than tempo run and 2 x 2miles, which are already on my training schedule), let me know! 

I’m happy with my times, especially since I did a stability ball class last night that included a lot of squats and lunges.  My legs were noticeably fatigued and my quads are still raging.  I feel like its fine, as long as I can still hit my times and rest afterward to allow my legs to heal.  I also think it’s a good mental boost to know I can hit times when my legs are hurting, and that on full rest, I would be even faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment