Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Giving up hope

This weekend, we got another record snowstorm.  I missed my first run of my training (a 20-miler on Saturday) and there are 3-4 foot piles of snow on the sidewalks.  Right now, there is another blizzard waging itself on the Washington area.  This one will hopefully only add another 6-10 inches.

I've used running as my reason not to join a gym since my free access to the CRC ended 18 months ago.  It's been fine, and I've weathered freezing temperatures, rain, snow, wind, heat and anything else Mother Nature has thrown at me.  At this point, however, running safely outside is no longer an option.  Needless to say, I went and joined a gym last night.  There is a county rec center really close to my office, so I went there last night.  It was actually really nice (although small) and I bought a 25-use pass. 

I enjoyed the Rec Center.  It wasn't too crowded and had really nice treadmills (ones with TVs).  Seeing as I will be doing most of my runs at least for the next few weeks indoors, that's a big bonus.  I am definitely of the "dreadmill" mindset, though.  The only bonus is that I usually hate it so much I run faster to get my miles done quicker.  I'm hoping that I can find some places to run outside for the long runs, and figure that I'll probably be able to run in the streets Saturday morning with less traffic.

I'll also have the benefit of other weight equipment as well.  Plus balances ball, bosu balls, medicine balls and the like.  I can also do some cardio crosstraining including aqua jogging (my fav).

I'm stuck inside today, although I'm sure I'll be shoveling snow and plan on doing some pilates later.

No comments:

Post a Comment