Saturday, January 30, 2010

Plowing through

There have been three snowstorms this winter in Nova, and if you check, they have all come on Saturdays.  While I know this pains kids and teachers, it also dismays me as my Saturday long runs are then also more difficult.


At the beginning of December, a strong storm hit, dumping big, wet flakes in my neighborhood.  I pursued, but only made it 10 of my 12 miles.

After the monster storm in mid-December, my 14 mile run the next day was done by running down my street and back 28 times.

When I got up this morning, the skies were overcast, although not in a foreboding way.  Having checked the forecast last night, I figured I was fine for my run.  Wrong.

About five miles in, it began to flurry. It was pretty, especially as I ran along the Potomac on the Cap Crescent Trail, and I enjoyed the serenity.  As I neared my turn-around point in Bethesda, the snow began to pick up.  By then time I was a few miles into my return trip, it was snowing hard.  I pulled my hat down in front of my eyes and trudged on.  As a ran past other runners, I remembered why I enjoy racing so much.  There is a palpable camaraderie among runners, which was evident by the friendly looks of encouragement I received from every runner I passed on the trail.  By the time I reached the C&O canal, I was pretty much alone.  The snow crunched under me, and I was able to forget for a few moments how utterly miserable I was.  Wet head to tow, cold and with my water bottles iced closed and icicles forming on my eye lashes.  I ran a negative split on the way back and was ecstatic when I caught site of my Civic waiting for me in the parking lot.

When I got back in my car, I took off my wet clothes and had dry sweatpants and a fleece waiting for me.  Unfortunately, the roads were not very clear and it took me almost 45 minutes to get home.  I took a hot shower, then got started on my post-run feast:

-Piece of honey seed break toast
-TJ's chicken chili w/ guac and cheese
-Cauliflower w/ rance
-Pita chips
-Goldfish
-Peanut Butter M&M Blondie

Annnnd I'm probably going to get more to eat soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment