Friday, March 19, 2010

Countdown: Less than 24 hours

So here I am, one day before my race. The weather is forecasted to be gorgeous.A high of 70 for the day, but hopefully mid 40s-high 50s while I'm running. No rain, no wind, low humidity.

I’m so excited, I feel like I did the day before we went to Disneyworld when I was 10. It’s awesome to think that at this time tomorrow, I will be a marathoner.

I am definitely nervous, but am trying to block all of the negative thoughts out of my head.I did three runs over 20 miles, and two more of 18. I ran 22 miles after three of the toughest weeks I’ve ever run, and then came back the next day and raced a 5k. I did weekly speedwork sessions and strength trained. I trimmed over an inch off of my waist (I have well defined abs!) I’m so ready. I know I can do it and hopefully as fast as I think I can.

My race strategy is going to go like this: run a comfortable 4 hour pace (or maybe even slightly more) for the first 8 or so miles.When the big down hill section comes, I’ll try to make up some time and let gravity help me with my pace. For the second half, I’m going to try to stay steady as the course flattens.With a nice river to look at, and a ghetto area to keep me motivated to run fast, I know I’ll be ok. ran my last three long runs in negative splits, so I don't expect tomorrow to be any different.


I’ve decided against wearing my Garmin. I get kind of obsessive about checking it, plus I’m afraid of it chafing my un-gloved wrist. I just want to run my race, and if that happens to be faster or slower than my plan, I don’t want to be freaking out about it every couple minutes. That will only make it worse.

I'm going to wear an orange Under Armour tshirt shirt with my green Nike Tempo shorts. I'm planning on writing "Don't stop believin" on the back. I think it's perfect.

It's one of my favorite songs, and reminds me of other great accomplishments (like Rugby Nationals) and nights at Bentley's and C-Stone that I wouldn't exactly call accomplished, but enjoyable all the same.&

It's a great motto for a marathon, don't stop believin you can do this, Meredith!
-The band is Journey, and I can't think of a better way to describe four months of training.
-Finally, I hope it will elicit comments from other runners.  Maybe it will even inspire someone to keep going (at least in the "I better run faster than that Journey girl" sort of way.)

I'm at work now. One of our vendors brought in bagels, which happens to be the most amazing thing ever for the day before a race. I've had two, but I'm kind of bageled out at the moment. Immediately after work, I'm going to get my packet. I'm supposed to try to meet up with Brooke but I really just want to get in and out.... and maybe buy a 26.2 sticker to promptly apply to my car post-race tomorrow. Speaking of post-race, it's also free Rita's Day so I plan on definitely hitting that up. It will be an amazing post-race treat.

So far, the only thing that hasn't gone my way is that Maryland game is tonight at 9:40. I want to be in bed by 10, so I won't get to watch it. Watching sports gets me really wound up, so I know it's a bad idea to try to watch it before I go to bed. I'll have enough going through my head without the Terps adding to the excitement.

Wish me luck :)

No comments:

Post a Comment